Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Snack Time! Fruit Salad

I didn't grow up with my dad around much but one thing I remember very clearly (which was reaffirmed not that long ago) was fruit salad.  My dad thought that fruit salad was the perfect way to jump start a day, not heavy enough to slow you down, easy to digest, pack full of nutrients and energy (sugar).  I don't have a fruit salad every day but on Saturdays when the farmers market is running it just makes sense and it is a perfect afternoon snack!  

Now saying I am giving you a recipe for fruit salad is kinda like saying 'hey here is a recipe for soup'  in that there are a lot of different ways to make soups and there are a lot of different ways to make fruit salad.  This is a late winter California fruit salad using locally grown walnuts and almonds, kiwis and apples I bought at the farmers market, an orange off the tree in my yard and, an avocado from the store for extra fat and creamy goodness.  As a topping i use shredded coconut, sesame seeds, golden flax seeds and sunflower seeds.


1 medium fuji apple (but any crisp apple will do, pink lady's are good)
2 ripe kiwis
1 orange
1 medium avocado
1/2 C almonds sliced
1/2 C walnuts diced
1/4 C sunflower seeds
2 Tbs sesame seeds
1 Tbs shredded coconut
2 tsp flax seed
1 Tbs agave nectar (optional)

The recipe is really as simple as cutting everything up and mixing it together but while we got all of this food lets pay some attention.  The mix of colors is good with soft red and orange with a splash of green, what is more in our control is the texture and shape.  Oranges naturally come out as slices but the apple is easily diced into large chunks (acting as our base) .. . I could have done more with the avocado but it is a bit messy so I just cubed it.  Kiwis are where we get to have a bit more fun, we can cut it into rounds, half rounds, cubes, wedges or, even  match sticks.  Honestly I was just hungry and went for a uniform cubed texture.  Now the Kiwi skin is pack of nutrients (so I am told) and should be left on but I am just not that in love with it and compromise but removing about half of it.  

The nuts and seeds and topping get tossed in with the agave nectar (which is again mostly for the texture and a habit from my dads fruit salads which always included a drizzle of honey).  I like to again pay attention to the textures from the topping.  Sometimes I am totally against the addition of shredded coconut just because it does have a big impact on the sensation of eating, but today I was in the mood.  I always love sesame seeds and flax seed, whole and raw.


I know if you do not grind the flax you do not get all of the nutrients and if you do not chew well will get none of the nutrients so chew well and enjoy the little pop of the occasional flax seed  as you do.  I slice the almonds and dice the walnuts extra fine, until they are more like walnut meal which will soak up the fruit juice and agave to make a sauce, a delicious fruity nutty sauce. Toss it all together with the sunflower seeds, adding more of what ever you like or leaving out a bit of what you don't like.


This fruit salad has it all: sugar, protein, fat, delicious flavor, awesome texture and great color!  When I went to take the above picture I kicked myself a bit. . .see that sprig of mint in the back, well I forgot to put mint in my salad! it just adds a little zap of freshness that leaves your pallet feeling clean.  I diced some up quick and tossed it i my second helping, this particular mint, growing in our front yard, is chocolate mint so it also has a nice earthyness to it that is cool and refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment