Sunday, March 11, 2012

Snack Time! Toast

Yeah toast.   Totally taken for granted, made in a hurry when you are late for work, and usually satisfying.  When you have the extra time to make toast a bit more than just toast.  Cinnamon sugar, jam or peanut butter and agave are all fine but delicious savory toast:

rosemary focaccia
garlic powder
cayenne
vegetable stock powder (spike)
nutritional yeast





Some day I will learn to make my own focaccia and I will make sure to post it but for now I get this lovely locally made bread Slice off a piece 3x3 ish  (this time the bread was ripped up a bit so i ended up with a strip rather than a square).  A slice toaster is fine but I am lucky and my house has a toaster oven, I like to make my toast a bit on the light side so just after a few minutes it comes out and gets slathered with Earth balance, my favorite vegan buttery spread.

I probably use too much EB(earth balance) but the way it combines with the spices and the "nut'yeast" turns it into almost a cheesy gravy on toast.




I use just a pinch or two of spike and cayenne, literally using a thumb-pointer pinch (don't get me started on all the different types of pinches and their approximate measures).  The garlic powder I use a spoon and dust the toast, avoiding the use of my fingers because of the way garlic powder cakes onto finger tips.




Nutritional yeast is a confusing and fantastic product.  It is often used as a 'cheesy' flavor but if you go around actually expecting that you will be disappointed. Nutritional yeast (often called nut yeast or nooch)is a flakey yellow yeast culture grown in a vitamin rich environment thus making ti more nutritional than other yeasts.  The color and flavor varies from vendor to vendor but all work in approximately the same way and are of particular note for their B vitamin content.  I dont know how to describe the flavor very well but it is good, down right delicious if you give it half a chance.


I cover the thing in nutritional yeast and stick both pieces back in the toaster oven; even thought it has been off for a few minutes there is enough residual warmth to heat it all together.


This toast is pack full of flavor and nutrition, makes a perfect dish by its self or a great side with beans or soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment